The Statistical Service announces that it has published the annual report "Statistics of Education" for the school year 2009/10. The report provides detailed information regarding the number of educational institutions, pupils/students, teaching and non-teaching personnel and expenditure, at each level of education, as well as Cypriot students abroad.
The main data included in the report are:
· At all levels of education, there were 1.270 educational institutions, 179.650 pupils/students and 16.609 teachers, giving a pupil/teacher ratio of 10,8.
· Of the total number of pupils/students, 69,2% were enrolled in public schools and 30,8% in private schools.
· The enrolments of pupils/students by level of education were as follows: Pre-school and Pre-primary 27.985, Primary 54.522, Secondary 64.611, Tertiary 32.233 and Special education 299.
· Cypriot students abroad totaled 20.051. Τheir distribution by level of education was as follows: Tertiary non-university 599 or 3,0%, Tertiary University Undergraduate 17.030 or 84,9%, Tertiary Postgraduate (Master’s) 1.949 or 9,7% and Doctoral (Ph.D) 473 or 2,4%.
· The main fields of study were: Business and Administration 12,5%, Health 11,3%, Engineering and engineering trades with 8,7%, Social and behavioral sciences with 8,6%, Humanities with 8,2%, Architecture and building with 7,2%, Law with 6,7%, Arts with 6,6% and Teacher training and Education science with also 6,6%.
· The main countries of study were: Greece 51,2%, United Kingdom 39,8%, U.S.A. 1,8%, Bulgaria 1,2%, Hungary 1,1%, France 0,9%, and Germany 0,8%.
· Public expenditure in public and private education for year 2009 stood at €1.357,7 millions, for all levels. The current public cost per pupil/student in public schools by level of education was as follows: Pre-school and Pre-primary €5.949, Primary €6.017, Secondary €9.753 and Tertiary €13.103.
The report is available free of charge in electronic form, on the website of the Statistical Service. The paper publication will later be available from the Government Printing Office at the price of €13.50 per copy.