NEW PUBLICATION: CRIMINAL STATISTICS, 2005
The Statistical Service announces that it has published the Annual Report “Criminal Statistics” for the year 2005. The Report presents data on crime, based on information provided by the Police, the Courts and the Prison. It also presents comparative data for the period 1976-2005.
The most salient developments during 2005 can be summarized as follows:
· The number of serious offences reported to the Police (true cases) in 2005 was 7.212 compared to 7.615 in 2004. The offences against property constitute the largest group of offences, accounting for 60,8% of serious offences, followed by offences relating to forgery, coining and criminal impersonation with 16,4%. The number of cases concerning drug offences increased by 18,7% compared to the previous year. The number of cases recorded in 2005 was 602 compared to 507 in 2004.
· The number of adult offenders convicted of serious offences was 1.575, compared to 1.406 the year before. Their median age was 26,0 years for males and 29,0 for females. The women represented only 9,0% of adult convicted offenders, while the convictions of foreigners constituted 35,7% of the total convictions for serious offences (33,8% of males and 55,6% of females).
· The number of juvenile offenders who are involved in the commission of both serious and minor offences reached 257 in 2005 (of which 19 were girls) compared to 300 in 2004.
· According to the Judicial Statistics, 95.724 persons appeared before the courts in 2005, compared to 99.686 in 2004. Of these, 59.889 were convicted, compared to 58.538 the year before.
· Regarding Prison Statistics, there were 1.188 receptions of convicted persons (1.106 males and 82 females) in 2005, compared to 1.385 in 2004. In addition to the convicted prisoners, 1.026 accused persons (pending trial) were received into prison.
The Report can be downloaded free of charge from the website of the Statistical Service. The paper publication will later be available for sale at the Government Printing Office in Lefkosia at the price of £6,00/€10,25 per copy.
The Website is best viewed with screen resolution: 1024 with 768 pixels