NEW PUBLICATION: STATISTICS OF EDUCATION, 2003/2004
The Statistical Service announces that it has published the annual report "Statistics of Education" for the school year 2003/04. The report provides detailed information regarding the number of educational institutions, pupils/students, teaching and non-teaching personnel and expenditure, at each level of education, as well as Cypriot students abroad.
2. The main data included in the report are:
· At all levels of education, there were 1.233 educational institutions, 174.062 pupils/students and 14.290 teachers, giving a pupil/teacher ratio of 12,2.
· Of the total number of pupils/students, 75,9% were enrolled in public schools and 24,1% in private schools.
· The enrolments of pupils/students by level of education were as follows: Pre-primary
25.674, Primary 61.731, Secondary 65.480, Tertiary 20.849 and Special education 328.
· Cypriot students abroad totalled 17.631. Τheir distribution by level of education was as
follows: Tertiary non-university 353 or 2,0%, Tertiary University Undergraduate
15.693 or 89,0%, Tertiary Postgraduate (Master’s) 1.217 or 6,9% and Doctoral (Ph.D)
368 or 2,1%.
The most popular fields of study were: Social and behavioral sciences 12,5%, Humanities 11,7%, Business and Administration 11,2%, Health 10,7%, Engineering 8,8% and Teacher training and Education science 6,8%.
The main countries of study were: Greece 67,1%, United Kingdom 15,9%, U.S.A. 7,1%, Hungary 1,5%, Russian Federation 1,1%, Bulgaria 2,8% and Germany 0,8%
· Public expenditure in public and private education for year 2003 stood at £500,7 million, for all levels. The current public cost per pupil/student in public schools by level of education was as follows: Pre-primary £2.504, Primary £1.974, Special £16.057, Secondary £3.444 and Tertiary £7.388. The cost per student abroad was £1.967.
3. The report is available from the Government Printing Office at the price of £8.00 per copy. It is also available for download free of charge from the website of the Statistical Service.