Ελληνικά | Turkçe
Home Page | FAQ | Site Map | Links | Contact Us
Republic of CyprusGovernment Printing Office
Search: Search
Historical Background
Ελληνικά
PrintPrint


The Government Printing Office was founded by the British colonial administration in 1878. It is the second printing unit established in Cyprus and the oldest of the existing printing units. The first printing machine was bought in October 1878 and the first Official Gazette of the colonial administration was printed on 5th November 1878.

The existing premises were built in 1915. The building and a significant part of the machinery was damaged by a fire in 1994.

The Printing Office has always been innovative as regards the introduction of new technologies and production methods. It is equipped with modern printing machines and the related electronic equipment and computerisation which has contributed to the significant increase of productivity.

The Official Gazette constitutes an important historical source for the colonial era, because it gives important information for the colonial administration, the development of education, the political developments the creation of the legislation and the Courts’ system as well as the economic history of the colonial era.
© 2012 Republic of Cyprus, Ministry of Finance